Exercises help to restore range of motion, flexibility, elasticity, decrease pain and improve function. Check with your physician if you have been diagnosed with a specific condition before embarking on an exercise regime.
Three types of Exercises: Passive, Active Assisted, Resistive Exercises
- Passive exercises are performed for you by an external force to maintain range of motion such as using a continuous passive machine after a knee replacement.
- Active Assisted Exercises is you performing the activity along with the help of a machine such as wall pulleys.
Resistive Exercises are performed with weights, cables, and bands to strengthen the muscles.
Specific Exercises To Help Alleviate Back Pain
- Stretching and Core Strengthening exercises such as trunk specific and Hip specific exercises including pelvic tilts, bridging, hip rotations, and clam shells are just a few of the many exercises that can help in alleviation of back pain. Hip pain can exhibit itself as back pain and vise a versa. Remember posture and biomechanics as well as ergonomics play a vital role in managing your back pain.
Specific Exercises To Help Alleviate Neck Pain
- Exercises can be performed in supine, sitting or lying positions and include stretching and strengthening exercises to the posterior cervical muscles. Some exercises for the neck include: cervical retraction, rotation, side flexion, flexion, and extension as well as isometric exercises in all directions.
Specific Exercises to Help Alleviate Shoulder Pain
- These exercises are dependent on what type of injury or lesion has occurred at the shoulder
- Initially passive exercises may be in order these are performed by an external force it could be you using your other hand and arm to lift the injured arm, pulleys, dowel rod, or another person, or gravity to assist such as pendulum exercises.
- Active Assisted exercises include using a dowel rod to move the arm overhead, to the side or behind your back
- Resisted Exercises using weights such as dumbbells, hydraulics, kettle bells, resistive bands, body weight.